Friday, November 8, 2013

Can I Get What I Have?!

Fact: I have a big head.

I don't mean I have an ego. While I admit to having often said aloud remarks about how smart I am, creative I am, etc., I believe the vast majority of the traits I have mentioned myself having are things that can be proven, & I see nothing wrong with mentioning them when spending a half-hour with me would get people who were previously "complete strangers" to honestly say the same thing.

No. What I mean is I physically, visibly, have a big head. I have heard this from people (including the aforementioned "complete strangers") for literally decades. As I recall, I have very-rarely heard, "Your head is HUGE!". It's usually been a comment more like "How did your head get so big?" or "Why is your head so big?". However, the fact is that, from both kids & adults (including in both cases people my age & older-or-younger), I have heard many comments & questions about my head. I also still presently own two Dallas Cowboy "baseball caps" (from the Troy Aikman days; Don't really care about Tony Romo) that never, ever fit me.

However, it was at-most a year ago I found that I had a growth atop my head. I am in this case not referring to either of my shunts (things attached by other humans to my head due to a neurological condition I have been diagnosed with for much of my life), both of which are located on the back of my head (& one of which I still use as the primary sign I need to get a haircut). I am referring to things I can think to refer to in no better way. They are simply growths on my head; They appear to serve no purpose, & decent work with a fingernail (even while watching a TV show or one of my many wrestling DVDs) seems to rid of much of it no problem.

Therefore, I called the number of a dermatologist I first went to years ago. (He had already operated on my torso years ago, & his family, largely different sorts of doctors, were some level of "friends" with my parents.) I was told he was gone, but there was a new dermatologist filling the same office. I was transferred to that phone number, & made an appointment.

I went to that appointment, & the guy gave me a simplistic explanation for the problem; Not the size of my head (which I have always "chalked up" to the neurological issue, & often jokingly blamed on my metaphorically-larger brain &/or IQ) but the recent increased growth. He then gave me prescriptions & (no joke) a combination advertisement-coupon for a special kind of shampoo he wanted me to pick up & begin using on a very-specific schedule. I did all that, & went to see him a few months later.

When I went back to see him & he asked me if there were any problems, I smiled & said, "No," very-happily reporting that it all seemed to have (largely, anyway) gone away. I expected that he would surely be happy, & we'd say "Goodbye" to each other, perhaps never seeing each other again. Instead, this man surprised me; He took the idea of "If it (his treatment plan) ain't (wasn't) broke,...", & suggested I continue with the special shampoos, etc.

As I said in my previous blog, I have grown up with a near-constant thought/feeling of "Fool/Cuff me once, shame on you...". Naturally, this was not the case when I was younger, which I suspect is a major reason why the vast majority of my graduating Class (if asked tomorrow) would say we were not actively friends, & I have not spoken to a great deal of them in a decade, but we never had problems with each other or any negative feelings towards each other...

...However, this has changed since I was about 18, the age I was at when first diagnosed as a Diabetic. [I believe that occurrence to be a main reason why. However, to those who may still believe I am a Diabetic, I say it is a change that comes with adulthood, as in my many years of watching court shows ("Judge Mathis", etc.) & fictional law shows ("Law & Order", etc.), I have always remained unsure what the legal adult age is, & reading about cases in the news/online, it appears that may even change depending on what crime you are charged with/believed to have committed.]

Now, I seem to trust/distrust people largely as a group based on the single first experience. For instance, ever since that first person told me I was diabetic over a dozen years ago (it was in a hospital, so I don't recall a specific doctor's name), I have often automatically believed that most doctors will say just about anything (diagnoses, referrals, tests, medication-prescriptions) that they think/know will get them more money. Not recalling exactly when the first appointment with this dermatologist was, I may (for all anyone knows) have been ready to start believing the vast majority of my doctors again at that time. However, the way this man has acted in his only-doctor-patient relationship with me, he has (as one might say) "ruined it for the rest of" them.

No comments:

Post a Comment