Thursday, March 20, 2014

Gilligan's Cage

While I do believe I'm genetically Irish on both sides (surely on Mom's, have never been sure about Dad's), that title is not meant to be any kind of curve on the song title, "Finnegan's Wake", though the mere thought of the song plays the title in my head in my Uncle Bill's voice. (Easy explanation: Here's a YouTube video of him playing it with a band at a place within walking distance of where I live. My Uncle's not listed as a member on the group's main site, but he was one for a large majority of my life.) Anyhow, I've never been much of a guy for St. Patrick's Day, which is to say this blog's title refers to an actual cage used a few times on "Gilligan's Island".

I've tried hard to keep my age out of these blogs, but suffice it to say I wasn't alive in the '60s. That said, I've told people many times I couldn't have lived back then. That has nothing to do with the drugs, JFK, or any of that; I read in a book a while back that "The Monkees" aired at the same exact time as "Gilligan's Island". I used to watch the American Fab Four on TV every weekend to the point my decades-younger nephew became a fan, but haven't found it airing in a while. Meanwhile, TVLand has been airing "Gilligan" seemingly forever on recent weeknights. This leads me to keep watching for a few of my favorite episodes. (One recent watch was "Don't Bug The Mosquitoes", a classic in my opinion.)

Anyway, a YouTube search now is showing me nothing... Suffice it to say that on a few different episodes, some/all of the regular cast(aways; see what I did there?!) got caught by the weekly visitor (like it was a Caribbean tourist spot or something!), who put them in some sort of prison that was really something made to look like bamboo, 90% of which was actually empty space.

Anyway (promise I'll get back to it), I've recently been thinking about my own legal history, & remember the first PG-13 movie I saw in theaters (waiting for the day I have to explain the meaning of that word to my younger relatives) was when I was 12. It was Jim Carrey's star-maker, "The Mask". One of my favorite parts to this day is when he is trying to get the dog to help him while he is imprisoned. (I'm about 50/50 with YouTube today.) The reason I am thinking about that scene with this blog is (as far as I understand/recall it) it was never much when the Gilligan folks were captured for an episode, but "Stanley"/Jim was supposed to be in an actual prison by the lead policeman (who I recall better now from an episode of "Leverage"). What gets me is that I think it would be worse to be in the Gilligan jail! You can barely see Jim's arms & eyes, & he can barely see the dog or the alley it's in... Whereas the castaways can see much of the island they've inhabited a while, but not touch much of it at all! I think that violates the Eighth Amendment! (That was around before "Gilligan"; Right?!)

Well, I didn't read any of my old blogs to myself before starting this one (I usually do), but suffice it to say the "guardianship" (the legal-jargon word for it) is OVER... "If you wanna get tech'." (That's when I switch from their words & phrases to mine.) The "general doctor" I've seen a few years agreed with Mom & I this morning that the whole thing doesn't need to continue anymore. When I got home, I called my sister (& the younger of my 2 nephews) with the news. She suggested I call the guardian & talk to him about it. I did so, & he told me I should drop the papers my doc filled-out & signed at the court(house). When I do that, he told me, they'll file them & have a hearing before they "will probably end the guardianship".

Most people who "follow" me on Twitter & things are probably waiting for me to post the date of the party, but I ain't gonna do that. Not that I don't like to celebrate these things (much as a person believed to be Diabetic can), but I refuse to do so until this whole thing is actually, completely finished.

Catch me up here: A doctor I've never honestly met filled-out an "expert evaluation" on me that led to me "getting" this guardian. A doctor I've seen regularly for years filled-out the same papers, this time saying it should be "terminated"... Yet I have to wait an unknown amount of time for that to happen?!

I considered going to the local bookstore today & buying a book I saw listed with a VERY-low price on their Website. I may not do that now, though; I'd be well within sight of the bank I've gone to for years, the same place they destroyed my last debit card & may be waiting for April's checks that may still come with my guardian's name printed on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment